Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Post 1







Sooo after 2 days of long traveling I am at Lewa. It was a real adventure to get here. two nine hour plane rides, a 5 hour delay in Amsterdam and the craziest part was the 6 hour drive from Nairobi to Lewa. The roads are brutal, with pot holes like you couldn't imagine.

People lined the streets almost the whole way, whether they were guiding their herds of cattle, washing cars, selling stuff, it seems like everyone is really doing their best to make money. It is hard to understand how all of these people make a living, but they all seem very happy. We stopped at the equator line where this guy showed me how water spins in different directions literally feet away from the invisible line.

Lewa is amazing, I am in the middle of the jungle in a big tent, all day there are noises of bugs and birds and other animals. The animals run free, these people I have been hanging out with said that a rhino walked right by their outdoor dining area last night and didnt bother them! In the 5 minute drive it took me to get from the Lewa gates to where I am staying I saw a zebra, a giraffe, impalas and a warthog, and there are tons of animals everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex! So glad you got there safely...what a journey!! Sorry I missed your call. I couldn't find my phone. Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes. Emily and I have packed and cleaned and will now just enjoy hanging out in Nashville with her friends...great group. There is lots going on down here with the clean up after the flood. Quite a disaster for many.
    Love you tons and I sure miss you! Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,

    Great pics man, Glad you made it safely. Looking forward to tracking you on this site. Enjoy your trip Alex. Love you

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALEX
    BEAUTY TEE
    sounds unreal man.
    Love youuu
    Emily

    ReplyDelete