Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lewa








Habari yako, Wow, so I have been here for about a week now and it is a real experience. If anyone has the opportunity to come to this area of the world- do it. There are 9 other Canadians here so we have kind of taken over and its a lot of fun.

For the first few days I was just being toured around and seeing lewa before the other students got here. I visited one of the schools that lewa supports in a poor village, and a bunch of little kids were waving and coming up to me and wanted to shake my hand, we are so lucky to live where we do. I also went up to a place called Tassia, which is outside of lewa in a conservancy managed by the Northern Rangelands trust. It was really hot up there. they are using a new type of brick that is made out of about 5% cement, and the rest water and soil, and they compress it in this machine and out pops a brick. They are interlocking and so don't need any mortar when they are constructed, very innovative.

On friday I started working on an energy and waste reduction project with another student, it will be very interesting. I also got tracked by a tracker dog from about 500m away then got jumped on and slobbered all over.
Anyways I will post more as it comes, I have some other stories but I'll save them for another time!

1 comment:

  1. looks wicked buddy, I hope you're enjoying the local markets

    ReplyDelete